Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Dig - Day 2

OK....clearly I stink at blogging!
Here's the short of it....go to Facebook to see pictures....that way I only have to upload once (and I can't figure out how to upload here for some reason....). I am sure this is disappointing...but y'all, I am tired....digging is tough.

Basically, digging can be exciting or a little boring. Depends on what unit you get. Basically, a dig site is divided up into units that are five feet by five feet. Then, you dig down one layer at a time (layers can vary from arbitrary to very specific based on soil color). My mom and I are working together and we finished off a C layer but got to sub-soil, so had to quit (sub soil means that there is no more human interaction....no artifacts, no different soil, etc). we moved on to this other feature, which means that there is an unusual looking thing that needs to be looked at. So, mom and I basically dug a big whole. But, we found a bunch of rocks and bricks connected and were excited that it may be something. We thought for a second it had connection to a few more such piles in direct line, but turns out that it was just a bunch of rocks and brick. It was fun checking it out though. We are hoping that this feature will wrap up tomorrow and we can move on to something else. We have found a few articiats....some pieces of glass, some ceramic pieces, some porcelain, some oyster shells, but mostly a bunch of little rocks and mud. But, when you do find something cool, it is really exciting!

So, I have one more day on the dig and then we head to the lab to help clean and categorize artifacts.

All in all, it has been a good time. I have to admit that I didn't think I would be this tired after sitting and digging....it's not like I am exerting tons of energy....just a lot with my right hand and forearm, which are a little sore actually....such is life, right?

So, go check out Facebook pics for an actual idea of what we are doing.

Sorry, these aren't more exciting....I thought blogging would be more fun...ha! :)

1 comment:

  1. I saw your pictures on Facebook. You all do look HOT. Have fun and I hope you find a good artifact in all of that dirt. : )

    ReplyDelete